You are here
What We Offer
WHAT IS CATHOLIC YOUTH MINISTRY?
According to the USCCB, “Youth Ministry is the response of the Christian community to the needs of young people and the sharing of the unique gifts of youth with the larger community.” (Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry 1997 by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB))
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF CATHOLIC YOUTH MINISTRY?
The USCCB identify three important goals that serve as a guide for ministry to the youth in Catholic communities:
Goal 1: To empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
Goal 2: To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the Catholic faith community.
Goal 3: To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
WHAT IS OUR MISSION?
Based of the USCCB’s guidance, Stella Maris’ Youth Ministry Mission Statement is:
“We exist to respond to the needs of our young people in our Christian Community, to provide them with a safe environment in which they can practice and grow in knowledge of their Faith, to build uplifting and life changing relationships, and ultimately empowering them to share their unique gifts with the larger world community.”
STELLA MARIS - A YOUTH FRIENDLY PARISH
Through its Youth Ministry, in response to the USCCB call to become a youth friendly community, Stella Maris response aims to:
- Make its youth feel welcome,
- Listen to them,
- Respond to their needs with age appropriate programs,
- Support them with prayer, time, and facilities,
- Empower them to utilize their God given gifts,
- Provide meaningful roles for them in our community,
- Acknowledge and affirm their efforts and contributions, and
- Include them in the life of the Parish.
Furthermore, Stella Maris’ Youth Ministry aims to provide its youth with:
By evaluating their needs, and standing up for them, both as individuals and as a youth community
By aiming to deepen their Faith through teaching and reflection
By focusing on building community between the youth themselves, their families, and the parish community
By proclaiming the Gospel and inviting them to deepen their relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ through continuous witness in their lives
JUSTICE & SERVICE:
By engaging them in helping and serving others, and guiding them, through education and reflection, in the understanding of the Gospel’s call to justice
By inviting, training and supporting them in leadership roles, for both, Youth Ministry and community service
By providing guidance during difficult decision-making times and moral choices
PRAYER & WORSHIP:
By encouraging them to develop an individual and communal prayer life, and to faithfully participate in the sacramental life of the Church
STELLA MARIS’ YOUTH MINISTRY ACTIVITIES
- Our Youth Ministry activities include, but are not limited to:
- Lector/Scripture Reading Training
- Water Mission Disaster Relief Simulation
- Fall Retreat
- Homeless Awareness
- Rosary Walk in Charleston
- Drug & Alcohol Awareness
- March For Life (Washington DC)
- Community Service Days
- Sacrament of Penance Services
- Inter-ministry Service/ Participation
- Engaging Discussions
- Team Building Activities
YOUTH MINISTRY MEETINGS
- Meetings are held every Sunday
- We meet at ‘The Shamrock’ house in Stella Maris’ Campus
- We meet from 4:00pm to 5:30pm
FOR MORE INFORMASTION PLEASE CONTACT:
Youth Ministry Coordinator